Saturday, August 10, 2013

URBEX a home without a master


This morning I set out on a mission. I always feel empowered by the abandoned, left behind, and lonesome buildings. Not sure why but abandoned buildings always appealed to me. I could go the Sigmund Freud Route, and say that its probably attributed to growing up not knowing my real father. So in a way I was also abandoned and left behind.

Of course I am not one to crutch on weakness, so lets just say these buildings resemble to me that there was once happy memories in here, it was once somebodies dream to own this. Though now it looks like a nightmare lol - It was once somebody's home.



At this particular location there were about 4 houses. Some still intact and some burned to the ground. Also the property itself was about a good 100 acres big. The grass was about 4 ft tall, with those lil sticker plants (you know those annoying lil stickers that get on your clothes by the hundreds and you have to pull them off one by one). It was about a good 1/4 mile inbetween houses. Even though these places were in shambles beyond repair. The place itself had avery somber feeling inside. Almost as if it is patiently waiting for attention.






The main house was overcome by the elements and mold. There was lots of it, that is to be expected though by houses open to the elements lik this one. I was almost saddened to know that something that was once so beautiful now is a mere shard of it's once mejestic view. I spent about an hour and a half in this location taking it all in. On the way to the main house, I turned a corner and came face to face with a wild coyote. Its safe to say we scared each other lol. He ran off, by the looks of it, I may have been the only person this coyote has ever seen.

Back to the main house though, this is where much of my focus was, It had to be about a good 3000 - 5000 sq ft home. It is also safe to say that the fireplace will outlive even me. It was once quite an engineering feat. And now it stands there to never devour another log in the dead of winter.











All in all it was a great morning. I got to get snapshots of history, but also of what will soon be history. It was great getting into a location that I know will be gone soon. Urban Exploration is one of my favorite things. Mostly because as a photographer we take only memories and leave behind footprints.









No comments:

Post a Comment